In an effort to serve as a 'one stop shop' for climate-related information, data, and tools, the World Bank created the Climate Change Knowledge Portal (CCKP), supported by the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery and others. The Portal provides an online tool for access to comprehensive global, regional, and country data related to climate change and development. The successful integration of scientific information in decision making often depends on the use of flexible frameworks, data, and tools that can provide comprehensive information to a wide range of users, allowing them to evaluate how to apply the scientific information to the design of a project or policy.
The CCKP provides a web-based platform to assist in capacity building and knowledge development. The aim of the portal is to help provide development practitioners with a resource to explore, evaluate, synthesize, and learn about climate related vulnerabilities and risks at multiple levels of details. Using climate science research results to inform the decision making process concerning policies or specific measures needed to tackle climate impacts, or even to understand low carbon development processes, is often a difficult, yet crucial, undertaking.
The CCKP contains environmental, disaster risk, and socio-economic datasets, as well as synthesis products, such as the Climate Adaptation Country Profiles, which are built and packaged for specific user-focused functions such as climate change indices for a particular country. The portal also provides intelligent links to other resources and tools.
The CCKP consists of spatially referenced data visualized on a Google Maps interface. Users are able to evaluate climate-related vulnerabilities, risks, and actions for a particular location on the globe by interpreting climate and climate-related data at different levels of details.
- Learn about climate information
- Increase your knowledge on climate change related actions
- Map, download, and use resourceful data
The Climate Change Knowledge Portal is the result of a close partnership between Climate Change Team from the Environment Department (ENVCC) and Information Systems (SDNIS) from the World Bank’s Sustainable Development Network and the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR). Additional support was provided by the Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP) and the Africa (AFR) and Middle East and Northern Africa (MNA) regions. We acknowledge the partial financial contribution from the Trust Fund for Environmentally and Socially Sustainable Development (TFESSD).
See also:Climate Information and Knowledge Management
- Global Historical Climatology Network (GHCN)
- National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP)
- The National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- Climatic Research Unit (CRU) of University of East Anglia (UEA)
- International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- The Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison (PCMDI) and the WCRP's Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) for their roles in making available the WCRP CMIP3 multi-model dataset. Support for this dataset is provided by the Office of Science.
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Climate Systems Analysis Group - University of Cape Town, South Africa – for processing the data for the World Bank
- International Research Institute - University of Columbia for their analytical support.
- The Nature Conservancy - for processing the downscaled data for the World Bank
For more information please contact Ana Bucher, Fernanda Zermoglio, Habiba Gitay, and Jane Ebinger